Monday, January 3, 2011

Arrival!

Well I made it!!!

After 9 weeks in the MTC, I have broken free of the little bubble and now I am in Serbia!! What a culture shock. I have absolutely no idea of what people are saying.  I feel like a two year old again: I have to rely 100% of my companion, Elder Porter, for everything.  Its frustrating to not to be able to understand anything of what people are saying.  But that's the way it goes.  I learned Serbian is a four out of five on diffiuculty as a language.  English is a 2.  So that might explain why its so hard to understand anyone. 

Its was awesome, for New Years Eve, my companion and I went over to another companionship in our city, Novisad, and stayed the night over at their place.  We made all American foods: Steaks, rootbeer floats, ice cream, chocolate, etc.  It was sooo good.  We had special permission to stay up till midnight also.  What a mission president, right? It was a real neat experience.  All the missionaries in Serbia seem to be really cool.  Especially my companion, he is a really nice guy.  We have already shared deep conversations :) That's a good sign, I reckon. 

The food here is legit! Everything is so tasty.  They have this "hamburger" like creation over here.  You have cabbage, potatoes, ketchup, mustard, spicy onions, and this spicy sauce and slop it on top of a patty/meat thingy.  It's so good.  Holy cow, I never imagined having potatoes on a hamburger would be good.  The burek here is amazing.  Basically its baklava with meats and cheese inside instead of the dessert.  Yikes.  I will have to work hard to keep my girlish figure in tact.  But its possible.  Our apartment, which happens to the best on in Serbia, has a complete free weights set.  Huh, and I thought we would of to rough it like pioneers :D

But it has been an amazing experience thus far.  I still have no fricking clue what people are saying.  I just nod my had and say "da".  I can understand a lot at church though.  Its apparent where the majority of my study went into: church and lesson words.  Its kind of sad I can talk about the atonement and all that good jazz but not carry a basic, basic conversation.  Its ironic, oh well, I am trying my hardest each day.

My last name does make a huge difference here though. Every time I bring up my ansestory, they freak out.  They are like, your serbian!!!! They truly love their own kind here.  They all seem to at least listen to you whenever you mention the fact your are Serbian.  Pretty cool! 

Well I hope everyone had a great holiday experience.  I get to spend christmas all over again :) The orthodox church has Christmas on January 7th, so good news their. 

With much love from Serbian soil!!!

Elder Novakovich

No comments:

Post a Comment