Monday, January 24, 2011

Novi Sad - Week of January 24 Letter

Well Hello everyone!!!!

I would like to take my first paragraph of my letter to send out my sincerest apologies for not writing last week.  Last week was an interesting week in the fact that absolutely nothing happened.  I was contemplating what I should write and kept pulling up blanks.  I had not a clue as to what words I could use to fill my internet cafe screen with.  With a heavy heart, I decided that it was not possible to write a letter.  Please forgive me.  It was not an easy decision to make. 

But alas, here I am to continuing another chapter in my saga as an Elder n such.  We will pretend that last week never happened.  But trying to recall what even happened or what I ate, it's safe to say that last week didn't happen.  Elder Porter and I were talking last night about my life here in Serbia so far.  He was commenting about how it has seemed like I have been here forever.  I was inclined to agree with him.  I know it has only been a little under a month, but it has seemed liked forever.  It's funny, I think back on this previous month and it seems like it flew by.  But as I think about it, it feels like an eternity.  Funny how that works. 

Well I finally had a conversation this week with one of the members here in Novi Sad.  She arrived to Church this Sunday and greeted me with a question.  As I was preparing to put on my "say what?" face, I realized I understood what she said.  And to my disbelief, I knew what to say back!  She asked how the language was this week and if I made any improvements.  Afterwards, she asked me about my family and where exactly they lived.  I didn't know where they lived, so I told her that they were born in Budancia, Croatia and that I believe they lived in Northern Serbia.  I was truly astonished!  I had a basic, but meaningful conversation with a member!  Oh man, you could only imagine the joy I had when I understood what she was saying.  I guess you could compare it to the first Christmas a kid has when he grasps the concept of presents.  It was awesome.

I don't know if I have mentioned this before, but I love inflation in other counties.  Its sooo nice to be able to go to a store and buy a nice beanie/scarf combo, gloves, and a nice white Nike belt with belt buckle for 600 dinars, which is 6 US dollars.  Everything here is so cheap.  DVD's here are 150 or 200 dinars.  Each missionary here has a collection of 10-20 Disney DVD's that have been dubbed in Serbian or Croatian.  Were not allowed to watch them, but it's cool to have them as souvenirs.  The best thing to buy here though are the ties.  High quality ties here at 300 dinars a pop, which is 3 US dollars.  Some missionaries here have over 50 ties they have purchased.  That's a lot of ties!  I don't imagine myself needing that many ties, but it's cool to think you could buy 60 nice ties for about 180 USD.  In the US, you could maybe buy 6 or 7 ties for that price.  Viva Serbia and its inflation. 

Anyways, things continue to progress here.  Every Elder here in Novi Sad are awesome guys.  I get along with extremely well.  My companion, Elder Porter, is a one of a kind guy.  He truly has been a great trainer.  I am loving life. 

With much love!

Elder Novakovich

No comments:

Post a Comment