Monday, April 18, 2011

Letter - Week of April 18

So yeah, transfers happened this week.  We didn't get a phone call.  So it looks like another 6 weeks in Vermont.  Zone conference is in five weeks.  The only missionaries I have met are the ones who are in my district.  At this point I have been on companionship exchanges with all of them.  My companion is the district leader, so we go on companionship exchanges every week.  

We have a pretty yummy Chinese place here in Johnson that we go to twice a week or so.  Once on P-Day and once with a member who takes us every Wednesday before our scripture study class.  That member was actually a member of the seventy back in the day. 

As I told mom, our ward has been pretty crazy these past few weeks.  We had two members die, an older lady and a two year old.  I don't know if the two year old made news over what's going on nowadays, but he was accidentally shot by one of his siblings when they were playing with a gun.  So these past weeks have been very emotional for everyone in the ward where I am serving.  

Our stove will hopefully get fixed this week.  We called the members who are renting out the apartment to us, and they told us they would contact the gas company or whoever to fix the problem.  We have been forced to cook in the church building this past week.... OH I HAVE A GOOD STORY!! So last week I was cooking Dad's garlic pasta.  It was about done: the pasta was minutes from being cooked and the garlic was completely browned in the oil.  So I took off the pan with the olive and garlic and placed it onto a stove that did not have any heat on it.  After 10 seconds, I noticed that the oil was starting to boil for some strange reason.  I went over to grab it and it started to boil even more.  So I put the pan down and as I did so, a few droplets of oil jumped into the air. And I still don't know how to this day, but those oil droplets ignited into a fire ball that reached the ceiling.  I thought I was going to burn the church down.  I have never screamed so loud in my life.  Right before my face was this huge ball of fire.  Oh man, it was awesome.  The smoke that came from it was pretty impressive.  I had to close the room door because it was thick enough to set off the fire alarm, which would have been bad news.  But the good news is nothing caught on fire.  So I am safe.    I don't know if that ever happened to you, but it’s scary stuff.

I get to have pizza for lunch today!  We are going to Lydon to play some basketball with everyone in our district.  Haha, it’s time to put my game face on.  Unfortunately, Vermont doesn't believe in having wood floors to play on.  They believe carpet is far better. Oh well.  At least we can still play. 

No comments:

Post a Comment